I was in 3 acts: in School-Crossed Lovers I was a Cal Bandsmen with a couple lines, in Network Nightly News I was Sarah Clodding, an Apple Genius who really didn't know what she was doing, and I directed Cal Band March which commemorated Tellefsen Hall's 50th Anniversary.
School-Crossed Lovers went over really well, and thank you to Katie Fleeman for writing the script! The Nightly News was a little rough, but Leslie Morales and I made our scene work. Thanks to Matt Gillooly for writing the script.
But my FAVORITE acts had to be the BBQ, Glee Club video, and SaxyTones!! The BBQ was amazing, they always have really awesome sound, and JESUS came and played! The Glee video was just hilarious, my favorite part was Bryce playing the guitar solo on flute. And last but certainly not least, the SaxyTones. They just make my life complete. They played a sax quartet arrangement of Eine Kleine Nacht Musik with a twist. They had horn flashes (but not too many) that went really well with the music, such as all the upper saxes looking at the bari for his solo. They were wearing coat tails, and came in like english gentlemen would, clearing their throats as they put down their music and adjusted their stands. They even had the intro to "Fight" in there, and a Jazz Solo! SOOOOO FUNNY! I can't get over it.
Last but not least, I want to document Cal Band March. I read a little history of the March for people, and afterwards I was once again told I have a radio voice. Maybe I should really consider doing a show? Either way, when our band director, Bob Calonico, introduced me, I was met with roaring applause that I will never forget. I personally am never in front of an audience that large by myself, and it was an amazing experience. It helps the nerves that with spotlights you literally can't see anyone out there, though. The March went great! And people came up to me after and said what a great slideshow there was to go with it. It was a slideshow of old and new pictures from TH, and Cal Band March has been their song for a long time. Overall, an amazing night, and it's a great feeling to have you family there afterwards to give encouragement and recap. What an amazing night!
Below is the list of acts and their descriptions straight from the program for reference. Now starts the new band season!
"School-Crossed Lovers": It's 1982 and Cal has just won the Big Game... and a forbidden romance has blossomed on the field.
Rondo from Concerto for Two Clarinets, Op. 35 by Krommer: These two clarinet-playing former Student directors (StuDs, for short) will have you enamored with their talent.
On the Spot Improv: You're invited to an improv comedy party where anything goes. Watch as Cal Bandsmen make up a hilarious scene using zany characters that you suggest!
The Bear Bones Quartet (BBQ): Carefully selected for a thick cut of the assured juiciness from the California Golden Bones, BBQ is topped with tasty jams that sizzle seductively and crave to satisfy; please enjoy the arrival of a delectable ensemble honed to perfection.
From China, With Love: Ni Hao! From the People's Republic of China, Cal Band's Executive Secretary sends her regards in this exciting video feature.
"Rise": Bryce Townsend on mandolin. A solo cover of Eddie Vedder's "Rise" from the Into the Wild soundtrack. Dedicated to those suffering near and far.
"Cal Band March": (directed by non other than myself), "Cal Band March' was commissioned. . . in memory of Chris Tellefsen, a long-time ASUC employee and Band supporter who was the first person to be named Honorary Member of the Band. The music was written by Jonathan Elkus, Student Director of the Band in 1952." Tonight we commemorate Tellefsen Hall's 50th Anniversary with the playing of the full "March".
Network Nightly News at Nine: Live from the news capital in Berkeley, California comes the daily deluge of jounalistic prowess that is The Network Nightly News! The "Most Trusted" name in News gives you the down and dirty of today.
Cal Band Glee Club: While you may be familiar with Fox's hit show, Glee, Cal Band's own show choir has been hard at work this past season. Please direct your attention to the video boards as Cal Band Glee Club reminds you, "Don't Stop Believin".
Tenacious Oski - "2009 Season Medley" - As they drop their horns to plug in guitars, Cal Band's very own rock band gives us a recap of the halftime shows for the 2009 season. Prepare yourselves for their return to the Spring Show stage, with a special appearance by CS.
Stand-up Comedy: Stuart Thompson, Stuart is a very funny man, but he takes his comedy very seriously.
The SaxyTones: Fresh from a tour of Eastern Europe, the SaxyTones being to Haas Pavilion the soulful sounds and tasty grooves of one Wolfgang A. Mozart.
Cal Band: We march in and play some highlight songs from our music repertoire after the first and second acts.
GO BEARS!
No comments:
Post a Comment