Monday, March 14, 2011

Pilates: A Revelation

One of my worst fears of graduating is going to work or school somewhere else and not finding the time or energy to work out. I was having enough trouble doing it this semester with my 18 units, and so instead of trying to force myself to get to the gym, I looked at the Rec Sports website for the RSF her in Berkeley to see what kind of classes they have. While I was looking, I noticed that they had tons of Yoga and Pilates classes, both of which I'd never actually done before in a class setting. The only basic class I could make? Pilates at 8AM Mon, Wed, and Fri. All I could think was "What a gross time to get up when I don't have to..."

Wow, how wrong I was. I know it's cliche saying "If I hadn't gone, I wouldn't know how amazing it was", but honestly, I feel SO much stronger than I did even when we had marching practice. One thing I was noticing when I wasn't execising was not the weight gain (which did happen), but how soft I was getting everywhere. I was honestly loosing muscle mass from not exercising, and there's only so much walking everywhere can help. So far I've only been to two classes--TWO--and I already feel more powerful.

The downside? Still the getting up at 8AM, and perpetually feeling sore during the week. I didn't wake up in time for the class today (because I got home from IM softball at 12 and it took me forever to fall asleep...), but the sleep was much needed. The soreness, I can deal with, however. It makes me feel like I've done something with myself, so when I'm studying for an entire afternoon, I don't have to feel bad.

Basically, whatever kind of work or school I'll be doing in the next couple years, I know I'll always be able to find Pilates classes close by. I'm sure there are places to go in any affluent community, so I'll just have to trust that there will be opportunity to continue my new hobby. I'm just happy I found something I like, and I suggest you all try it at one point or another!

No comments:

Post a Comment