You might be thinking from the title that I haven't been using voicemail on my phone until now. Well, it's not quite that bad, but here's the story anyway:
Do you remember that time when AT&T and Cingular kept trying to decide which one would be the actual name of the company cthey merged? Kind of like one of those relationships where it's on and off and on, and changing almost like when a child plays with an electric car window? Well, during that time, I was a part of Cingular, and when the merger decided to stay being called AT&T, by that time I had had to change my voicemail a number of times, and had just basically gotten fed up with it.
The real problem, though, was when the company settled, and decided that I not only needed to re-record my voicemail greeting, but that I had to enter a certain number to RE-SET UP my voicemail account, which when I did, it didn't work...
In the end, I was so frustrated that I decided to hell with it, and just never set up a voicemail account nor greeting. People would think that my phone wasn't working if I didn't pick up because of some message that was in my voicemail's place, so I took to answering the phone EVERY TIME someone called me.
You can imagine that this would become fairly annoying, but after a while I got used to it, and just didn't even think about reinstating my voicemail account. Ever. Again.
However, times change, and finally my parents started hassling me about it... So I decided very haphazardly after my last final this Spring, to go to the AT&T store, and get it checked out. After about 5 minutes of explaining this to the guy, he said "of course I can fix it for you, happens all the time". After about 2 seconds of the guy telling me that I'm elligible for an upgrade, I decided that on top of the voicemail, I deserved a new phone. My roommate from last year probably went through about 5 phones (in a year). I've had the same phone since the December of my Senior year of high school (about 2 and a half years).
Then with getting a new phone AND voicemail, I found out that my SIM card was really old (once again, so old that it still had "Cingular" on it). So I also had to get a new SIM card. Basically everything in my cell phone life was outdated and everything was going to get fixed that day.
The majority of my stay was spent with the AT&T worker (who was very cute, I might add...) on the phone with people at some headquarters around here, trying to figure out why the hell my phone wouldn't let me set up a voicemail account. FINALLY after about 20 minutes of just chillin, chatting, they fixted the damn thing, and I was finally able to pay for everything and bounce.
So, when it comes down to it, I got new voicemail, a new SIM card, and a new phone all in the 30 minutes visit that I had at the AT&T store. The kicker is that I haven't had a real greeting for my voicemail, it just had that automatic thing saying I wasn't there. The revelation? I finally, TODAY, decided to record my greeting. Still 4 months after getting the new phone. I'm really slow at these things. Case closed.
Yay for every-day things that make me happy and inspired to blog, haha.
GO BEARS! BEAT THE TERPS (9/5/09)!!!
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment