Monday, August 3, 2009

Practicing for Point

This is probably one of the things that has been bugging me since I found out that 1) my uncle was point and 2) I'm the only one of my generation that has even toyed with the idea of trying out for point. Playing Phonez also puts an added pressure, since we lost the position to the tenor section last year.

Now, for those of you that aren't familiar with Cal Band traditions, the position of point is usually held by the best marcher between the phonez and tenors. Of course, other sections are welcome to try out, but it's usually a phonez or tennor... The actual point position is at the very tip of the wedge that we form at the very beginning of Pre-Game before a football game (if you've ever seen a game, it looks like a triangle). Point has its very own line; there's no one behind or to the sides of them, and they can't follow anyone in front of them. It's a spot with a lot of pressure, and this is why the best marcher has to get it.

I don't know if you've figured it out yet, but my family does have a legacy at Cal, and especially in Cal Band. I'm the first woman in my family to be in band, but my grandpa, uncle, brother, and 3 cousins (my uncle's sons) have all been in band before me. My uncle was point his junior year and went on to be drum major his senior year. He and I both play alto sax (phonez) for the band, and so I feel like it's some sort of destiny to try out.

The destiny part might all be bull, but it does give me some motivation to try out. I won't go into the whole politics of who might try out and what my chances are, but let's just say the chances of phonez getting the position would be better with my participation.

However, ever since freshman year, with all this history in Cal Band, I've been toying with the idea of trying out for Point. I've weighed pros and cons, and I really have no other thought but "Yes, I'll try out for point". I might not make it, but there is something to be said for trying. If I never tried, I wouldn't know how I would've matched up to everyone. And If I get it, that would be f***in awesome. There's always going to be a part of me that says it couldn't happen, but based on my practicing, the only way I can go is up.

GO BEARS! BEAT THE TERPS!

4 comments:

  1. damn man, i have like no legacy here, technically speaking im not even a first generation american, i'm imported. Sounds like a tough legacy to live up to at that, kind of cool too though, I guess as a historian I appreciate seeing familal lines competing for glory. good luck though, if the magic is in the family i dont think you'll need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got Mama Goose and JDock to beat, FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, but I want a shot at the front of the wedge too, gordo :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. and tracy, who has perfect form. good luck love. trying out is an amazing experience

    ReplyDelete