It is that time of the year again! I think it's safe to say it: the football season is beginning and there's nothing to stop the hammer that is about to fall. In 10 days from today we start the marching season with full force. Like I told my friend Kim today, this might be the last time I get to see her until November. I'm basically going to fall off the face of the earth in a few days, and into a chaotic mixture between Cal Football and school.
There's something extremely exciting about the week or two before football season. Especially because at this point I'm over the whole "summer thing" and ready for life to be hectic. There is a lack of stress and productivity in my life during the summer that I can only deal with for so long. At this point, I want something to stress me out besides "Which social gathering of the 4 I've been told about should I go to?" It's just not the right way to live.
Luckily, there's the football season to get me pumped up, and classes that are going to take up all of my time. I was reminded how close the season is today when I was at Claire's jewelry. Basically I bought studded earrings based on the fact that they were blue and gold. I also know the season is near when I start fitting my last classes into my schedule based on band practices and the need to study during the day (due to lack of time in the fall otherwise).
Sitting here at home (for the last time until November, also), I'm surrounded by those typical family pictures that every family has in their living room. I was suddenly reminded exactly why I love Cal Band and the season so much. Here are the pictures I'm looking at:
First, there's one of my uncle and my mom: my uncle is in a Cal Band uniform, my mom in her pom-pom girl outfit, huge pom-poms in my mom's hands, and Memorial Stadium filled to the brim behind her. Next to that is a picture of my brother and I at the USC stadium 4 years ago - he is in his uniform and he thought it would be funny for my to wear his hat for the picture. Little did we know that a year later, the next picture would be taken: both my brother and I in Cal Band uniforms before marching up to the Stadium.
These pictures remind me why I'm a part of Cal Band, and why a Top Dog reminds me of football, and why I get excited when people wear blue and gold while holding pom-poms. It's all a part of a season of festivities, spirit, rivalries, and unforgettable memories that will live with me for the rest of my days here at Cal and beyond. So despite all the hype around Cal, especially this season, I need to remember that my heart is in this school and sport, and no matter what happens I will always have this season to keep me afloat.
The season is just around the corner, so get your BEAR on!
P.S. I'd also like to note that while noticing that my friend Kim's new puppy looks like a bear, my dad suggested that we name it Oski. Her mom was SO close to loving that name!
GO BEARS! BEAT THE TERPS!
Monday, August 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Aww Lizz!! I loved this! This is Geli btw. I'm so pumped!!! I agree about the last 2 weeks of summer too... I can't wait to get back :) especially after reading this!! lol
ReplyDelete