Monday, July 27, 2009

Titanic Song

Just now, I was thinking about how none of the freshmen ever know the words to what the Cal Band sings on the way up to the stadium when walking by the reflecting pool in Hearst Mining Circle. Then I realized that because of this tradition of ignorance, I also don't know the words too well. So, I've decided to find the lyrics online (which I didn't find the exact ones but fixed them until they were how I knew them), and here they are. Enjoy the Cal Band rendition of the song "Titanic".

P.S. If you're an alum and think there's anything wrong with what I came up with (missing a verse, etc.) let me know, and I'll change it :) I'm about to refer to my songbook when I get the chance.

Oh they built the ship Titanic to sail the ocean blue
And they thought they had a ship that the water would never go through
She was on her maiden trip, when an iceberg hit the ship
It was sad whent he great ship went down.

Chorus:
Oh it was sad (so sad)
Oh it was sad (very sad)
It was sad when the great ship went down
to the bottom of the Sea-eee eeee eeee eee
It was sad when the great ship went down

It was off the coast of England and far from any shore
When the rich refused to associate with the poor
So they put them down below
Where they'd be the first to go.
It was sad when the great ship went down

Chorus

The ship was full of sin and the sides about to burst
When the captain shouted "Get me out of here!" ("women and children first!")
Little children wept and cried, as the waves swept o'er the sides
It was sad when the great ship went down

Chorus

They swung the lifeboats out o'er the dark and stormy sea
When the band struck up with "Down by the River Suanee" ("Nearer My God to Thee")
Little children wept and cried as the waves swept over the side
It was sad when the great ship went down

Chorus

Mrs. Astor turned around just to see her husband drown
When the great Titanic GURGLE GURGLE GURGLE (made a gurgling sound)
Mrs. Astor donned her mink just to watch the great ship sink
It was sad when the great ship went down

Chorus (gurgle arpeggio)

So they made it to the pier and were greeted with a cheer
And they drowned their sorrows in a keg of beer
So the moral of the song is to bring your beer along
It was sad when the great ship went down

Chorus

-----------------

GO BEARS!

1 comment:

  1. You know it IS in the songbook. It's not a tradition of ignorance, it's a tradition of apathy and laziness.

    ReplyDelete