Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Few Words on my Affinity for Jane Austen

I discovered Jane Austen sometime around when I was 10. My mom had seen the 1995 Pride and Prejudice from A&E, and decided to buy it she loved it so much. She started to watch it every so often, and I liked to watch it too. She would explain to me everything that was happening if I seemed confused, and by the time I was 14, I knew the story inside and out. I first read the book when I was 16 without finishing it, but it was mostly because my teenage brain couldn't handle the language Austen used. then, within the last year, 10 years after falling in love with the story, I watched the KQED (public tv) series of all movie renditions of Jane's work. It was then I decided to read Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility. It took a few months between school work to finish them, but now I can say I've read those three, and I'd read them again. Now I'm focusing on her other novels, and will read her other, lesser known works sometime this summer. I'm currently reading a sequel to Pride and Prejudice by Helen Halstead called Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride, and I love it! Its not just some fan writing about the sex life of the Darcys, but about what might have happened to other characters like Kitty and Mary, and the married lives of Jane and Lizzy. I'd recommend it to any P&P fan :)

P.S. If you're interested in what I'm doing this summer, read my New Mexico Blog at lizznewmexico.blogspot.com!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment