Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ready, set, LENT!

It's been a while since I wrote anything, but I think my blog will have a different tone now. I'm going to explore what it's like to be a vegetarian, but without giving up fish. So, for Lent, I'm completely giving up meat, allowing myself to eat fish every once in a while.

I know it's not "full" vegetarian, but I'm not full anything: not full Italian, not full employee, not fully on my own, so half-assing it is consistent with my personality. I also can't give up sushi. Is fake crab even actually meat? I promise I won't eat fish except a couple times a week at most anyway. Not that anyone is actually watching my every meal.

It's going to be really easy to be a veggie in Berkeley though! Vegetarian Chipotle is delicious, there are at least 3 places with veggie burgers, and Asian food places will replace anything with tofu. The harder part will be at home. Salami in the fridge is too tempting, and my parents have never once willingly had a no-meat meal at home. Lent requires eating fish or no meat on Friday, but other than that it's pretty much up to me to encourage a veggie option. I also don't cook my own dinner because my dad cooks it before I even get home. My mom and I always get home way after him, so it only makes sense. However, then I don't have much say in what gets prepared. I'm glad, though, that after talking to my parents about it, they're willing to have a veggie option for dinner. It's great!

So far, I've been trying to get my protein though eggs and milk--so basically upping the amount of animal byproducts I eat. However I'm going to stock up on nuts so I'm not just eating eggs all the time. I'm super excited and Day 2 is going well so far! I'll try o update every so often.

On another note, and since I'm already here, I've lost 9 lbs since October!! Losing the healthy way isn't super instantaneously satisfying, but satisfying all the same :)

No comments:

Post a Comment