Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Title of this Blog

So I've had a few people ask me what the name of my blog means. I mean, "For the Four of Us" sounds sentimental if you have no context, or it sounds like I'm dedicating this thing to people. Well... it's not really either of those things. It's from a song, and if you're in the Cal Band, it's a rather popular song. If you have no idea what I might be talking about, I'd just like to clarify by posting the entirety of the song. Scroll down to see the line.

(speaking start)
The steward went below. (Shhh!)
To light the captain's lamp. (Shhh!)
The lamp it would not light. (Why not?)
Because the wick was damp. (Oh!)
The captain went below. (Shhh!)
To kick the steward's... (Shhh!)
He said, "So fire it up you son-of-a-bitch,
The Golden Gate is passed!"


For California, for California,
The hills send back the cry,
We're out to do or die,
For California, for California,
We'll win the game or know the reason why.

And when the game is over, we will buy a keg of booze,
And drink to California 'till we wobble in our shoes.

So drink, tra la la,
Drink, tra la la,
Drink, drank, drunk last night,
Drunk the night before;
Gonna get drunk tonight
Like I never got drunk before;
For when I'm drunk, I'm as happy as can be
For I am member of the Souse family.

Now the Souse family is the best family
That ever came over from old Germany.
There's the Highland Dutch, and the Lowland Dutch,
The Rotterdam Dutch, and the Irish.

Sing glorious, victorious,
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
Here's to the Irish, dead drunk. The lucky stiffs....

If you're still wondering what song this is, it goes by the name of the "California Drinking Song". LEARN IT!! It will be good for your health. Promise.

In other news, I got a midterm back today that I didn't do to hot on. All I can say is thank God for the pass/no-pass grade option. And classes that don't matter except for the joy of learning. If it weren't for classes that i can just take for the hell of it, I wouldn't know that a temple and altar in an ancient Greek sanctuary were two different things. Or that if permafrost melts, it releases CO2 into the atmosphere and screws up our global warming problem even more. So... I think the point I'm trying to make is that midterms in classes that don't matter for anything but my general love of being educated shouldn't matter either.

Also today, I went to a Lair of the Golden Bear info. session, because I'm applying to work there next summer. I went to the Lair for 5 years in a row when I was a kid, and my mom also worked there back in the 70's, so I kind of have a history there. The thing is I haven't been there since I was really young, at least for a full Lair experience. However, I was reminded of all those experiences when the put on a slide show of recent pictures from the Lair.

O.M.G. I can't even begin to explain the nostalgia I began to feel when that happened. A million memories came to mind: sitting in front of the camp fire during an end-of-the-day show, making lanyards, watching clay on a ceramic wheel fly off from the force of being spun, the "bug juice" they gave us as we drove into the camp. It wasn't real bug juice... just Kool-aid or something like that. (I'm reminded of a phrase "don't drink the Kool-Aid"... but that really doesn't apply here. Or does it?)

I felt SO welcomed by the Lair Staff, I'm really excited to turn in my application and become a staffer there. I know I'll be missing out on the usual summer boredness, chill time with my usual friends, and giving tours in the blazing Berkeley sun (it's not that blazing...). But, just remembering all the tye-dying I used to do, smelling the sod and trees of the campsites, and waking up for breakfast in the morning makes me want to work there even more. I'm really excited for this new thing in my life.

The only other exciting thing that happened today was when I went to the Free Speech Movement Cafe (for here on out known as FSM), I got the usual White Chocolate Mocha. Elisabeth, my housemate, was with me, but she was leaving for class after she got her coffee. She suggested that I sit outside since there are never any seats available inside at FSM. So, i get a lid on my coffee and walk outside. I immediately take a sip of my coffee, and I think, "Wait, there's nothing there." Half a second later, I hear and feel a splash all over my left pant leg, and lo-and-behold, there is coffee all over my pants. I say aloud, "Did that really just happen?!" and some randoms just star and laugh. I found a table and put my stuff down, and proceeded to go inside to wipe as much coffee off my pants as possible... after that the story gets boring, but basically I had an embarassing moment today. I continued to chill outside without going home to change though. Why waste the beautiful sunshine?

It's late; I'm tired. I will post again soon

In closing: And Abraham said "Thou shalt push the chairs of those you love." 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment